Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Happy St David's Day!

It's March 1st which is the feast  day of Saint David, the Patron Saint of Wales.  As I've just come back from teaching in Wales  - and enjoying a chance to  renew my love  of that country, I thought  for St David's day, I'd share with you some of the reasons why I love Wales so much

1. My childhood family holidays were spent there  - first in a small village called Nevin where we stayed on a farm. I was too young to remember much about it as I saw most of Nevin from my pram!

2. More family holidays - ones I do remember  - were  spent on Anglesey where we rented a house right near  the beach in  Treaddur Bay - yes the place where Prince William and that other Kate  visited last week on  their first joint official  appearence

3.  I went to university there - at University of Wales Aberystwyth.    I loved the Old College, living by the sea, my first flat.

4. I met the Babe Magnet there  - my last year, his first -he came to Aber as a 'mature' student.

5. I got my degree and then  my MA there

6. The Babe Magnet proposed and we got engaged there

7. With my new family -  Babe Magnet and The Offspring - I had a couple of  lovely return visit family holidays in   Aberystwyth and Treaddur Bay

8. The Babe Magnet and I were invited to speak/run courses at  Writers' Holiday in Caerleon. We grabbed at a chance to revisit Wales, had the best time at the first Writers' Holiday we went to, met the fantastic organisers Anne and Gerry Hobbs - and Caerleon has been an important   and valuable part of our lives ever since.

9. As a result of Caerleon I was asked to run the Contemporary Romance course at the Fishguard Writers and Artists' Weekend  -  started with the basic course - ran The Novel course one year  and then got asked to create The Advanced Romance Writing course  for this years' Fishguard - and  will be running it again  next year . . . .  As  a result I've met some great writers, great students on the courses, and I hope one day (soon?) to add to the number of new writers I've been able to help towards publication - fingers crossed.

10. I love dragons!  And daffodils and Welsh Cakes  . . .   and I have some wonderful fabulous friends who are Welsh or live in Wales . . . .

I'm already looking forward to going back to Caerleon in the summer. Maybe I'll see you there?

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Dedwydd!

5 comments:

Quillers said...

Wow, Kate, you have more connections with Wales than I do, and I was born there! Brought up not far from Caerleon, actually.

Happy St David's Day!

Rachael Thomas said...

What great Welsh connections you have Kate.
Happy St David's Day

Maria said...

I've got a Welsh connection too. My sister's husband is from there, but as I live in Asia, I've yet to meet him.

Congratulations on your new book 'The Proud Wife' doing so well. I've ordered a copy from my online booksellers here and apparently it will reach me in a few days. Looking forward to reading it.India is a great place for getting books I must say.....

Happy St. David's day!

Nas said...

Happy St David's day, Kate.

I loved your photos of the beautiful Wales!

Kaelee said...

Happy St David's Day!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts