Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Presents Writing Competition - some good news

As well as the major winners of the Presents Writing Contest announced a few days ago (the winning chapters are up on the I Heart Presents site now if you’re interested) there were a lot of writers who entered the contest and submitted a first chapter who, obviously, didn’t win the main prize(s). So the next flurry of interest was created when the letters from the editors with their responses were sent out. For some this meant the disappointment of a form rejection but others who – very sensibly in my opinion – had decided that they would be happy to receive any feedback and comments have received more detailed responses over the last week or so. And in the past few days I’ve been delighted to hear from several of them.

Over on the Romance Bandits blog at the beginning of the month, I wrote a post about my 25 years celebrations - and I also commented on some of the reasons why I like to work with aspiring writers – why I feel this is important. In case you missed it, here’s a quote from what I said:


Some months ago I went to a concert by a favourite singer, Michael Ball. He has had huge success as a recording artist, on stage in musicals, and had won many awards. I’ve seen him on stage many times. This time he had a slightly different show because it included performances by several new young singers who had appeared with him in productions of Hairspray etc. Giving these young - and hugely talented singers – a break by letting them appear on stage with him did nothing to reduce the singing power and presence of the star . Instead their new voices added a different depth and richness to songs I had heard many times before, allowing for different and original arrangements, extending the range and scope of the music.

That’s what I hope for when new authors are signed with Harlequin – in the Presents line I write for, or for any line at all. In fact any genre at all., Every line, every genre, needs new blood to stay alive, stay fresh. Any form of fiction needs to grow and develop, to change and adapt to new years, new trends, new types of societies so that it will always be relevant and never ever become a stuffy old dinosaur that no one wants to read.

And that’s why I love helping what the UK’s Romantic Novelists’ Association calls ‘New Wr
iters’ those who aren’t yet published but with a little help and adv ice and encouragement might yet be the new Lynne Graham, the new Jennifer Cruisie, or even the new Nora Roberts. That’s why I run the courses etc and that’s why I wrote the 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance. This book has already sold out one edition completely and the second, much expanded and updated edition was brought out in an American edition for the first time this year. Since it was published, I’ve heard from at least seven brand new novelists who have been helped on their way to publication by reading this book – and believe me that’s one of the best presents I’ve ever had. Almost – though not quite as good as that very first published book that I held in my hand this time 25 years ago.

I was reminded of this this week when 3 writers contacted me to let me know that as a result of their entry to the contest, the editors had asked to see more of their work. Either a further few chapters of the book they had submitted or the first three chapters of their next submission. They have also received comments on their submission and advice on how to improve it. And the reason why I was so pleased to hear this news was that all 3 writers have been in touch with me before for advice - either by email, at one of my workshops or at a one-to-one at a Writers Roadshow I’ve been part of. Or, in the case of one writer who lives in New Zealand, through my 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance and studying my own novels - particularly The Alcolar Family. So I feel I’ve had a small part in helping them reach this next step in their writing careers and I hope it develops into something better in the coming new year.

And then when I wrote to congratulate Joanne Pibworth on her place as runner-up in the Modern Heat section of the contest, she too delighted me by responding: I have to tell you that I read your book cover to cover, and it has been and will continue to be invaluable to me

So Joanne 1, Joanne 2, Rachel and Fatima - Congratulations on getting this far. I hope it’s just the launchpad to bigger and better things. And it’s an extra special sort of Christmas present for me to know that my 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance has helped you get this stage at least. After all, that’s what I wrote it for!

2 comments:

priley65 said...

Hi Kate,

First, I would like to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas. Last month I ordered your 12 point guide and I've read it from cover to cover. I've been targeting HP for years and although I haven't been successful it's so helpful to get advice from successful HP authors like yourself. I entered the IS contest and the 2009 contest and although I wasn't successful with either it's been a wonderful opportunity for aspiring HP writers to get in front of the editors. Your willingness to share all your professional expertise with wannabes is greatly appreciated. I have received email advice from you too. I'm concentrating on reworking my first chapter and continuing with the story in 2010. Thank you again for be a wonderful writer, teacher and mentor.

Joanne Coles said...

Thank you, Kate!

And thank you for helping aspiring authors--both the time you generously spend and for the 12 point guide.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts