Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tweaked Greeks

Well, the intensive concentration on tweaking Zarek Michaelis last week had the desired effect. Yesterday I heard from my lovely editor and the book is bought and will be published in July 2010.


Yes - July - that's why there was that tight turnaround necessary.



Two interesting things about this book that make it a bit different from the usual -


1. It's the special project I was asked to do where four authors - myself, Lucy Gordon, Robyn Donald and I think Catherine George (need to check on that one) - were asked to write books that updated one of the Greek Myths. The story I chose was Odysseus and parts of his story form the background and some elements of Zarek's story. I've even stolen the name of his wife - Penelope - for my heroine.

2. This is my first book to have been given a title under the new policy for creating titles - so instead of - what? Maybe The Greek Tycoon's Something Wife? I have - A Good Greek Wife?



So what do you think? I think it's about time the plethora of Italian/Greek/Billionaires etc etc came to an end and some more interesting and imaginative titles were used and it looks like this is starting to happen.

Any comments? Thoughts? Would that make you buy the book more? Or intrigue you? Or not?

I'm off out into the rain and wind. I'm going to York because now that Zarek and his Good Greek Wife are dealt with there's somehting called Christmas looming on the horizon and I have a list of gifts I need to buy.

Then tomorrow my editor and I will be discussing a new 'exciting project' that they'd like me to be involved in. More when I can tell you.

Oh yes- and the count of countries visiting this blog has hit the magical 150 mark - with a visitor from Jersey! Funny, I never actually thought the 150th would be so close to home. I've spent some fabulous weeks in Jersay and have some wonderful memories of the beuatiful island. I love islands and this one of my favourites.

Welcome Jersey! What took you so long?

11 comments:

Jill said...

I like the title. It's descriptive, but there is still a bit of mystery that makes me want to pick up the book. What makes a good greek wife? Thumbs up.

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

So exciting about the new titles!! I also give the thumbs up to "A Good Greek Wife"

Caroline said...

Like Jill the title is intriguing and I would buy it - that and it's got your name on the cover of course! Take care. Caroline x

Anonymous said...

carolc said ...

I like the title Kate and I also love the premise of the book.

I agree the Billionaire etc. titles can benefit from a little refreshing. Some of the phrases seem to have become so detailed and recurrent that I often don't really register the title of a book I'm reading. Bring on some clear, catchy ones I say.

Rachael said...

I like the new title and can't wait to read it.
I too think that the titles need refreshing, there are only so many combinations of Greek,Italian, Spanish Billionaires. Looking forward to seeing what other titles appear.

Jackie Ashenden said...

I'm afraid I wasn't a fan of the old titles because they all sounded the same and I could never tell which billionaire was what. :-) So I love the new title. And as I love the Greek myths, I'm really keen to see this story.

Lacey Devlin said...

Such exciting news! I'm a fan "A Good Greek Wife" too and I can't wait to hear about your other news !

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Love the title - can't wait to read the book.

Kerrin said...

very catchy and intriguing, can't wait :)

lidia said...

Kate,

Big improvement on the titles. I actually liked the older titles much better to the ones that were so prevelant in the last couple of years!

Can't wait to read the book!

Joanne Coles said...

Ooh, I want to know why she's a 'good wife' as opposed to a 'forbidden' or a 'bought' wife etc.. The myths angle is certainly intriguing too.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts