Sunday, May 27, 2007

Questions and Answers

Annie West said –
I've been thoroughly enjoying the pics of your covers. They've brought back memories, though I was particularly intrigued by the half-a-heart ones, which I'd never seen here in Australia. I wonder how it feels to have a library of your very own books!

It isn’t exactly a question, but it was in answer to my questions post – so I’ll just say that the truth is, Annie that I never ever tire of the thrill of seeing those shelves filled with my books. And it’s still a wonderful thrill when a new box of books arrives and I can add to the collection. I have my author copies of The Sicilian’s Red-Hot Revenge – and it won’t be too long before the hardback editions of my November release – The Greek Tycoon’s Unwilling Wife – will be arriving – and now there’s the prospect of the first 2008 book to look forward too. It’s like having a birthday or some such special day several times through the year. You’ve been enjoying some of that with your books Annie – I hope you continue to enjoy more and more,(And to all readers out there – Annie’s book The Sheikh’s Ransomed Bride is a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed that one. )

Question two:

Nicolette said:

Hi, Kate. More of a practical question from me.How on earth do you keep cats off the keyboard and flicking, flirty tails out of your face, when you're trying to write?My kitten Magic insists on helping me write...!

Ah yes – I know this problem. Sid spends a lot of time on my desk and he often ‘helps’ me write too. Though most of the time that involves chasing my fingers as they move over the keyboard and occasionally pouncing on them and so adding *&$! Nsvxhjf! **76%^JBU&S! to my manuscript.

I thought I’d pass your question over to the expert here – Sid – what’s your advice?

Dear Nicolette
Sid here. I would just like to say Hello to Magic and send her a gracious purr. It sounds to me as if she is still a young kitten and so a bit flighty yet. I would also suggest that it is because she is a young lady cat that she is so flirtatious. As a Cat of Certain Age and also A Cat of Superior Breeding, I rarely indulge in these flirtatious posturings these days. I greet My Mum first thing, naturally, and we spend some quality time together when she tells me how handsome I am and how intelligent a creature I am. Then it is Breakfast Time.


Afterwards, My Mum will settle at her keyboard and I will jump up on the desk to help her. She gives me several good strokes (top of the head r-i-g-h-t down to the tip of my tail), an ear rub or two, and a head scratch and then we settle to work. I have another important job to do, you see – I have to sit on the window sill and be available to my public. The schoolchildren walk past the house and they are all delighted to see me looking out of the window at them. This is why My Mum has prepared a special blanket on the window sill where I can sit and keep an eye on the world and make sure that it is being run correctly.


Perhaps Magic does not have the important duties that I have to distract her. But I would suggest that you give her the right sort of attention and then firmly push her away. And continue to do so until she learns. You see, although it pains me to admit it, sometimes even My Mum has to concentrate on her writing. I would much prefer it if she didn’t do so, but, as she once explained it to me – no books, no money – no money – no salmon! No salmon! Under those circumstances, then even I am prepared to relinquish a little attention in return for more important things. No salmon! The idea is unthinkable.


I suspect that this is a problem that a little maturity will help ease.
I hope this helps. I must leave you now as it is a very important moment in my day – My Mum has just announced Tea Time.


With warmest purrs and head butts Sidney St John Willoughby Eamon Portly-Lummox

4 comments:

Anne McAllister said...

Eamon?????

He's added Eamon?????

Now it's definitely a hero's name. See, Abby? See!

Anonymous said...

Magic has asked me to send back a gracious purr of her own and thanks you for your kind advice. As a young cat, she does not have such veritable duties as yourself, choosing instead to chase and hunt down any insect that dares enter the house, only occasionally making herself available for public display at the window. However, she wishes to reassure you that she is keeping up the high values of cats everywhere and has managed to find an adoring neighbour who puts out a special cushion for her to sleep on during hot, warm days. This servant also feeding her and supplying plenty of love and cuddles when her own mistress is attached to previously discussed laptop and is unavailable (despite the intense ministrations of flirty-tail).

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

LOL on the cat tales. :) I'm always afraid of a leap and a computer freeze up.

Annie West said...

Kate,

I'm entranced by the sight of your bookcase! My goodness me. How terrific! Now there's something to aspire to.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoy opening your book boxes when they arrive. I was afraid the excitement might be something I grow out of - wonderful to hear it's not!

Thanks too, Kate, for the kind words about my first sheikh. Hearing that is a real thrill.

Annie

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts