Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Another event coming up

Doing anything Saturday May 19th?

I know where I'll be that afternoon - from 12 - 4pm


Borders bookshop 122 Charing Cross Rd, London WC2H 0JR

Last summer, at the Caerleon Writers' Holiday in Wales, another of the speakers, Jane Wenham-Jones asked me if I'd answer a set of questions for her as part of her research for a book she was working on about writing and the writing life. I was happy to help, the questions arrived a few weeks later - and now the book is out. Wannabe a Writer was published on May 1st.

Wannabe A Writer ? is described like this:



This hilarious, informative guide to getting into print, is a must-have for
anyone who's ever thought they've got a book in them.
Where do you start? How do you finish? And will anyone ever publish it when you have? Drawing on her own experiences as a novelist and journalist, "Writing Magazine's" agony aunt Jane Wenham-Jones takes you through the minefield of the writing process, giving advice on everything from how to avoid writer's bottom to what to wear to your
launch party. Including hot tips from authors, agents and publishers at the
sharp end of the industry, "Wannabe a Writer?" tells you everything you ever
wanted to know about the book world - and a few things you didn't...




And knowing Jane it will be written in her own inimitable and funny style. (I just wish I'd had the info on how to avoid writer's bottom before it set in for life). This book certainly has contributions from many authors, agents and publishers - the list of contributors read like a Who's Who in publishing - writers Katie Fforde, Frederick Forsyth, Ian Rankin, Jilly Cooper, Jill Mansell, Publishers Hodder Headline, Simon & Schuster, Harper Collins, Agents Simon Trewin, Jonathan Lloyd and Jane Judd, Journalists Miles Kington, Michael Bywater, Robert Crampton . . .and me.



The official book launch is on Saturday May 19th. Everyone who contributed is invited to go along, celebrate, meet readers and would be writers - and, Jane being Jane, "hopefully have the odd glass of wine!"

So if you're in London that day and have nothing better to do, why not come along and join in the fun? I'll have (hopefully) copies of the 12 Point Guide To Writing Romance to sign. I'll also be the one with a slightly shell-shocked look as I'm having an author/editor lunch the previous day to map out my 'career path' and the new contract for the next couple of years. (Basically that will involve me saying 'You want me to write how many books?'). I'll be enjoying an afternoon off before I head back home and get my nose back on the grindstone with the editor's whip cracking over me. (She does it very nicely - honest - but she does crack the whip!)

So maybe I'll see you there?

Or if you can't make it and you'd like a more hands-on writing approach then both Jane and I will be at the wonderful Caerleon Writers' Holiday again this summer.



I'm not running a full course this year - maybe next time . And that means that I shall probably be doing my own writing rather than holidaying some of the time. But I'll also join in some of the other novel writing courses as and when the course tutors ask me to. Jane is teaching 'Novel Writing - Where Do I start?' and I'll be doing a talk as one of the main lectures during the week. I'm saving myself for the weekend-long, intensive - and wonderful fun - Novel Weekend in Fishguard later in the year. (If you're in the RNA there will be a write-up of last year's course in the issue of Romance Matters coming out soon)

Hmm - so that's the course in Leicester, one in Fishguard - Writers' Holiday - this book launch . . . Oh and I'm doing a talk at Doncaster library in July . . . yes, I'm going to have to keep my nose very much to that grindstone the rest of the time. But if you come to any one of these events, please come up and say hello.

Full details of all the events will go up on my web site on - naturally enough - the Events page. just as soon as I have all the details of times dates etc. The Novel Writing weekend at Fishguard is up there now - everything else should go up this week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to be there on Saturday, but I'm at work!!! Bugger. Fancy having a signing somewhere in Hampshire and not on a Saturday instead?!

Anonymous said...

Ditto Nicolette,
South Hampshire even better!
Hope you have a nice time-don't wear out that writing hand!
Rach.

Anonymous said...

South Hampshire works for me! You see, Kate, your public have spoken! LOL!

Anne McAllister said...

You could always come stateside and sign books, my dear Kate. The public over here would appreciate that as well. Say hi to Jill for me!

Kate Walker said...

I wish you could be there too Nicolette and Rachel - I'd love to meet you. One day

And Anne I'd love to come stateside - I must come back soon!

Will definitely say hi to Jill

Kate

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts